Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sociology in Peru (Tribute to the Sociology College in Huancayo, Peru)

(The Premise: for the reader's better understanding of Sociology in Peru)


I was invited and received an award from the Sociology College in Huancayo, Peru, and thus, I feel I should write a tribute for them. I do not claim to know more about sociology than they (especially in their own country), for I only have a minor in undergraduate studies in sociology, but I do have a major in Psychology, a License in Counseling, a Ph.D. in traveling the world, and a Ed. D, (Doctorate) in education (culture and learning).

The reason for this essay of sorts, perhaps my help the English reader more than the Peruvian Spanish reader, simply because those who come to Peru, may fall into the category of cultural shock.

Sociology, if compared to many of the other sciences, is rather new, it looks at cause and effect, as does psychology; but more as a whole, than an individual, where psychology does just the opposite—and at what we may call, the present social picture, its status, or phenomena—reading a society’s history will help the person involved in knowing the society they are stepping into (my wife Rosa, read two huge books, over 1000-pages per book, so she would know the United States, when she moved there with me for six years); in this case Peru, and its people. Other elements involved are the government, economics, and problems in the society. Etc.
And like all sciences, the sociologist of Peru, look to make a chart; anthropology is always involved with a society, sooner or later it is put on the table, I had studied antropology in College years ago, and it does tell stories, perhaps of why a society is what it is, or ended up to be as it is, and a few more why’s.
The cup of tea for the sociologist, is quite mixed as you can see for in a society there are of course many, many obstacles to look at, and each society may have different ones, ones more serious, or less serious than its neighbors, or friends.
Like in most all sciences, one will find prejudices involved, here as well, for my opinions are mine, and perhaps not my friends. Also the French, or Russian, may not agree to my way of thinking. This is ok, they see things differently. Who is correct? In a society, you must adjust. For forty-years the singing group, ‘The Beatles,’ was banded from entering Israel, now Israel has invited them to Israel. Things change in a society, slowly. Social and political views do not always remain the same, as well as for solutions.

No comments: